The holidays are the most wonderful time of the year! Unfortunately for many, it can also be the most expensive. It’s not uncommon for people to end up allocating a good portion of their 13th month pay just for gifts alone, while others end up completely broke.
That doesn’t have to be the case. Saving money on Christmas gifts is completely possible. Here are 5 ways you can save money on gifts:
1. Plan ahead: Before setting off to shop for gifts online, at a bazaar, or at a shopping mall, take a few minutes to create a list of recipients that you intend to gift to. Decide what your overall Christmas shopping budget is, then allocate it to each person.
2. Look for discounts: Promos and discounts are everywhere during the holiday season that it’s almost foolish not to take advantage of them. Online shopping sites offer numerous promotions in the form of bundles, and many vendors also offer special discounts. This is the easiest way to spend less money from Christmas shopping.
3. Give families and couples a group gift: Instead of gifting each person in a family or couple individually, opt for token gifts that the whole group will love. One fool-proof token gift you can give a family or couple is a perishable gift or food. Condiments, sweets, and bottled Filipino delicacies are food items that everyone will always enjoy.
4. Cook: If you enjoy cooking and baking, creating something yourself in the kitchen is always a thoughtful gesture. You can whip up a big batch of dips, sauces, or meals that you can then give away to different people at a fraction of the price it would cost for you to buy everything yourself.
5. Don’t use a credit card: If you’re planning your gifts, use cash instead of your credit card when doing your holiday shopping. A credit card may make you prone to spending more than you intended to, plus using cash will save you from suffering a credit card hangover by the time your bill arrives in January.